Sunday, July 19, 2009

positive

Just a thought of the day. It's not deep or meaningful but I realized how nice it is getting positive feedback. In an instance such as horse back riding, if the instructor gives out a million things to do at once it's really overwhelming and frustrating. I recently got an instructor who is very positive and makes a point of saying what me and my horse are doing right instead of saying what we're always doing wrong. I've had more fun and gotten more out of my two lessons with her than I have in years with my other instructors. I guess it's in part due to the fact that I'm advanced enough to figure out what to do when on my own without constant feedback. But, it's really nice to be hearing "You did that great" or "That course was beautifully done." For me personally, and probably for most people, positive feedback works a whole lot better than going over a list of what wasn't done right. Don't get me wrong, if I'm doing something wrong she tells me and that's what you want in horse back riding, but it's not the constant nagging that I'm use to. She's even positive, accepting, and proud of the decision of what major I want to do in the next few years. That two minutes of her saying how excited she was about what I want to do means the world to me. So just a lesson for myself for the day is give positive feedback about stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment