Wednesday, July 15, 2009

double take

Normally I don't have a big problem with lyrics of songs or what message they're trying to get across. The singer/lyricist can sing about what they want without me really caring that much and if I don't like what the song is saying I'll usually just change the station; end of story. But I was listening to 93.7 on the way to the barn today and one of the songs kind of bothered me. It was a song called 'unanswered prayers' by Garth Brooks. I understand that there's variations in people's belief/understanding of God. And here's where I'm going to turn into the little Christian kid that I am and critique what he said. A line in particular bothered me it was 'Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers.' Here's the lyrics if you want to see it in context. I was taught and still adamantly believe that God answers all prayers. It may be a yes or it may be a no, but he always answers. He doesn't do what we think is best for ourselves, but what he knows is best for us. Sometimes it's not fun when the answer is no. We take that answer as a non response because we don't see the results we idealized seeing. I'll be the first to tell you that I've gotten a whole lot of 'no, my way is better for you' answers. It's frustrating when you don't get your way but it means that you don't know what's best for yourself. I also believe, and I know how annoyingly cheesy and cliche this is, that in the end what God picks for us is better than anything we think is best. I guess if I were to change the lyrics it would be that some of God's greatest gifts are prayers answered with a no. Wow, I'm done being cheesy now.

No comments:

Post a Comment