Saturday, May 8, 2010

asanta sana squash banana



Such a great video, the first 6 minutes are absolute gold. I remember one of the teachers at wca used this as a platform for a speech in chapel. I love the monkey and everything he represents and adds to the movie. Who knows if it's intentional, but there's several great religious metaphors.

For instance when Mufasa says :"You have forgotten me. You have forgotten who you are, and so forgotten me...You are more than what you've become...You are my son and the one true king" I think that says so much about us as people. We're created for something better and more beautiful then the sinful lives we live now. We often forget that lesson because life and culture tend to have a much louder voice than the religious one.

Then there's the amazing Rafiki with a lesson that most of us haven't learned or don't want to learn (me included).
Simba: "Going back means that I'll have to face my past. I've been running from it for so long"
Rafiki after he hits simba: "It doesn't matter it's in the past"
Simba: "Yeah, but it still hurts"
Rafiki: "Oh yes the past can hurt, but the way I see it you can either run from it or learn from it."

Such a great message that all of us should learn, but that most of us haven't. It's a shame Disney movies now a days rarely go deeper then: lets all be friends and love everybody. Rafiki is such an amazing and bizarre character, both old and wise and young and playful at the same time.

Plus the Lion King is my favorite disney movie with awesome characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment