Sunday, December 13, 2009

college responsibility?

"Get home, I want to get to bed" was a phrase I heard hundreds of times in my high school career. I'd often be at youth group and every week at 9:30 sharp one of my parents would call and proclaim that I needed to make it home because they couldn't go to sleep unless I was home. We had many arguments about why they simply couldn't just go to bed with the reassurance that I was in the heart of west-county, the safest place in the world, and that nothing was going to happen to me. They never took to heart the old phrase of "no news is good news." They were constantly worried that their little 16-18 year old baby was in some sort of trouble because the sun was down.

Well lately I have been adopting a similar principle. Although I can still go to sleep without any problem (I am a college student after all). My room mate goes out to parties on weekends with some of her friends which is perfectly fine by me.

The vast majority of the time they're back by 3 with the munchies, fun stories of the night ,and less than stellar balance. The only problem is when I wake up at 5 and I look at her bed and she's not there. This is the fear that my parents always had. Now granted I actually somewhat have a reason to be worried because they're hammered as opposed to me who was at youth group watching so you think you can dance.

If I was like everyone else in the world I would just go back to sleep without another thought of it. But, no I have inherited my parents' worried attitude. Here's the thing, I know that it's 95% chance that they're just fine and sleeping at the house that the party was at. But they've told me too many stories of waking up in some random place (thank goodness it's always been a friends dorm) and not knowing how they got there. My only worry is that, what if it's one of these 5% days there's not a friend there to lead them back to this dorm or their dorm.

So at least now I somewhat know where my parents are coming from. Granted, I have a legit reason to be worried because sometimes they aren't just buzzed but decide to have a bunch of yager bombs or 15 shots (true story). So lately I made it known that I can take them back in my car and they can call me at any time of the night: because I inherited the worrying gene. And it makes me feel a bit better when I hear them loudly coming down the hallway at 3:30 a.m. knowing that they can't get themselves in any trouble once they're in the dorm.

Well that's my realization of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment